Google

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I got fired, you get reviews

No Hope For The Kids - Angels of Destruction 7"
Clearly, this band can do no wrong. The first song Angels of Destruction, is a guitar lead heavy song, that's just as catchy as anything off the first 7" or the LP. Simple lyrics, lots of good backing vocals, great sing-along potential if they'd ever come tour North America. The B-Side Cold Touch Of Death, reminds me of Halloween by the Misfits. It's slower than the A-side, it's one of those super awesome songs that you want to listen to when it's shitty and raining outside. Slow and dark, like a lot of their other stuff. Aces all around. Good follow up to an amazing record and an even more amazing first 7". You can probably still get it online without resorting to eBay, and according to one of the dudes on the KBD mailing list put out the record, and he says a second press is coming out soon and will be "identical" to the first.

The Vicious - Suicidal Generation
Wow. This is so fucking good. The dude's voice kinda reminds me of early Stitches, in that it's snotty as shit and catchy as fuck. Pogo mayhem, mid-tempo punk. Totally fucking good. It's even got reverb on his vocals at the end of the title track. The B-side is more of the same, killer song. I heard the LP while I was down in Richmond this weekend and it's just as good as this 7", I'm just waiting on the dude from bistrodistro to get back from tour to mail it out to me. I found a copy of this 7" at Profane Existence last week, so check there before you go to eBay where it sells for way more than I paid PE.

Formaldehyde Junkies - EP
From Minneapolis, really good 7". This is the first contact I've had with this band, since they first played Winnipeg after I left, and I missed them when they were here-ish. 4 songs of fast hardcore. Snotty vocals, fast guitars, awesomely unproduced sounding. I wish I hadn't heard it 400 times before I tried to write this review, I think I've already said as many good things to people as I have to say about it and typing them out again will kill me. It's rad though, you should probably buy it.

No Bullshit Volume 1
Out on No Way Records, this thing sold out in like 4 minutes and I somehow lucked out and got a copy of it. Talk about a killer fucking line up for a comp. Starts out with Career Suicide giving the record its title track. It's Career Suicide, I don't need to tell you how awesome they are, if you're reading this you should already know. Pretty standard CS stuff, fast circle-pit inducing hardcore from Toronto. After CS is some Japanese band, I dunno what they're hopped up on, but it sounds like it's pretty good speed. They're called Bad Dirty Hate, and they rip. I've never heard anything else by them, but if that song is any indication of what they're like: I'm into them. Last song on the first side is by Government Warning, which I just realized I didn't babble about how fucking awesome their 7" is on here yet, and it's a fucking zinger. Way faster than anything on the 7", rips harder, but without any really catchy singy parts. The B-Side starts up with Strung Up ripping through their version of DMS, which surprisingly isn't a crew song. Strung Up rips, and so they get two songs on the comp. The second one is Bent Out Of Shape, and it rules just as much as the first. Closing the comp is Direct Control with Fake, which is probably my favorite DC song yet. Ripping, raw and totally valid. There's a second press coming out soon, get ahold of one by emailing the label at no way records hc at gmail dot com. But formatted like an email address of course. There's gonna be more of these comps coming out, they'll probably all be this good. That makes me happy.

Wasted Time
Last up is the Wasted Time 7". I saw these dudes in Richmond on Sunday at Nanci Raygun with Fucked Up, Gorilla Angreb, Government Warning, Cloak/Dagger and the Spark. When they were going on I asked Daniel from Dead Metaphor what they were like. He told me they sounded like Poison Idea, so I was stoked to hear them. I was wicked drunk already, so my hearing might've been a bit off, but they reminded me more of Uncurbed than of Poison Idea. If you ever read my Uncurbed reviews on the original Fuck-Everything, you'll understand that I was totally stoked on Wasted Time. The 7" however, does make me think Poison Idea. Daniel was right to call it such based on the guitar sound which is totally Poison Idea crunchy and punching. But the vocals do still make me kinda think of Uncurbed. Killer hardcore, fast, pissed off, more circle-pits and stagedives. Fuck, the breakdowns on this record are amazing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn, dude, that sucks you got fired but I'm glad to see you're blogging again. I agree with everything you wrote... you pretty much just wrote about my whole playlist for the past few weeks!

12/4/06 21:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home